This is my place for writing down ideas for teaching kids. You'll find things I have tried, things I am thinking about trying, and reviews of educational products. My own kids are young so most of the information is for preschool age children. I hope you find it useful.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bake up some marmalade muffins


This is delicious!
The kids wanted a snack. It has been a while since we went to the store. So we had to bake something together. What fun! This was a pretty simple recipe. And though it isn't specifically kid friendly, it was short enough that it didn't take much to let them help.
----------------------------------------------------
Recipe :
2 oranges                                 
½ lb butter, softened                         
2 eggs
2 cups flour                               
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda                      
1 cup packed brown sugar
 
Zest the oranges.  Cream the butter and sugar together.  Mix the eggs in until well blended.  Add the flour.  In a small bowl combine the baking soda and buttermilk.  Add the buttermilk mixture to the other batter and mix until just blended.  Add the orange zest and mix.  Grease any size muffin tin that you want and fill 2/3 full.  Bake for 12-17 minutes at 375ยบ until light brown.
------------------------------------------------------
Just a few notes:
1.  I creamed the butter and sugar, and zested the oranges before I called my kids to help me... a couple of days before actually... I think that was good since there wasn't much for them to do during that part.
2.  I didn't have any buttermilk I just mixed 1Tbs vinegar per cup of milk. It works great!
3. I used half wheat flour half all purpose. It tasted great.
4. I got this recipe from abundant harvest which is a super great produce service that we get most of our fruit and vegetables from now.




Now go have some fun with your kids.

1 comment:

Abigail Rogers said...

Like good books? See what you think of mine:

www.beastandbeauty.com

P.S. I think I might have to repost this recipe on my personal blog for "Muffin Monday"!